RUST grants and loans are available to assist small business Underground Storage Tank (UST) owners and operators to come into compliance with UST regulatory requirements by removing, replacing, or upgrading USTs.
This is not a reimbursement program. Work cannot begin until you have a signed agreement with the State Water Board.
Typical eligible costs are removing and replacing single-walled USTs and/or piping with double-walled USTs and/or piping, UST upgrades including installing containment sumps, underdispenser containment boxes/pans, and electronic monitoring systems, and conducting enhanced leak detection tests.
- Grants range from $3,000 to $70,000.
- An additional $140,000 in RUST grant money is available for remote and public fueling stations for the purpose of removing and replacing single-walled UST.
- The grant applicant is a small business, and employs fewer than 20 employees;
- The grant applicant is independently owned and operated and is not dominant in its field operation;
- The principal office (officers/principals) of the grant applicant is domiciled in the state
- The facility where the project tank is located was legally in business retailing gasoline after January 1, 1999;
- The grant applicant must have a current operating permit for the UST from the regulatory agency for all UST work (if an applicant does not meet the permit requires, a waiver may be obtained only if  the applicant owns or operates the tank,  the project(s) is for removal only, and  the applicant cannot obtain a RUST loan for the removal only project); and
- The facility where the project tank is located has sold at retail less than 900,000 gallons of gasoline annual for each of the two years preceding the submission of the grant application. The number of gallons sold shall be based upon taxable sales figures provided to the State Board of Equalization for that facility. (BOE 401-GS including schedule G)
For more information about our Loan Guarantee program please contact:
Senior Loan Officer, Anthony Rucker — firstname.lastname@example.org