COVID-19 Relief: SMUD Nonprofit Microloan Program
Strengthening our neighborhoods. Together.
In early March, our community began to feel the impacts of the COVID-19 virus. The growing pandemic brought the world to a halt and was especially devastating to our underserved, under-resourced neighborhoods and the nonprofit organizations that support them.
To help counter the economic fallout of COVID-19, our Sustainable Communities initiative has partnered with California Capital to create a simple, low interest microloan program to help local nonprofits in our service area keep their operations running and growing, so they can continue to help those most in need.
Microloan applications can be submitted July 17 – October 15, 2020.
Who can apply?
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Only local nonprofits incorporated and operating in SMUD’s service area are eligible
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) status
- 100 employees or less
- Directly impacted by COVID-19
- Loans will be used for the following:
- Acquisition or leasing of real property, buildings, machinery, equipment and inventory
- Construction or repair of buildings, machinery, equipment and tenant improvements
- Operational activities such as payroll, rent and utilities
- Working capital
- Technology improvements related to COVID-19 social distancing guidelines
- $1,000 to $10,000*
- 2% interest
- $100 application fee to be paid by borrower**
- Payment terms vary on a per loan basis, but shall not exceed 5 years
*SMUD may allow exceptions up to $25,000
** An additional processing fee will apply if loan is approved
How will loans be awarded?
Microloan applications can be submitted July 17 – October 15, 2020. Loans are limited and will be disbursed based on evaluating factors including but not limited to:
- Proven impact due to COVID-19
- Focus on areas and communities in most need based in part on SMUD’s Sustainable Communities Resource Priorities Map
- Organizations addressing one of SMUD’s four priority areas:
- Social well-being services
- Environmental health
- Economic prosperity
How to apply
- Fill out and submit a microloan interest form
- We’ll review your interest form to determine if your organization is eligible for a microloan and reply back to you within 3 business days of submission.
- If we determine your organization qualifies for a microloan, you’ll be emailed a loan application. The application will ask for details about your nonprofit’s history, purpose and current financial situation.
- Submitting an interest form or application does not guarantee funding.